So, I just completed my 3rd lap-swimming session for the week. And by "for the week" I also mean "for the last 6 months." But anyway, since I'm working out so very much, I am now qualified to opine on said activity.
1. Reduced awkward gym-friend conversations. Some of my friends love chatting it up with pseudostrangers. I'm friends with these chatters because we're opposites. When you go swimming, though, you spend most of your time with your head underwater. Oh, I'm sorry, I can't talk to you right now or I might drown.
2. Disguises. You now those days when you wish you could wear a bag over your head when you go out in public? Be it zits, baggy eyes, crazy hair... well, try a cap and goggles. Especially uebercool superhero-style goggles like I've been wearing in my old age:
Nobody recognizes me in those suckers! ...I hope.... For those of you who feel a need for a more complete disguise, please go here.
3. No deo? No problemo. Its really no big deal if you forget your anti-stink anti-perspirant chemicals. No one will smell you in the pool. And really, we're all already drinking each others' sweat anyway. (Hmm, I think I have a list of 5 Reasons Swimming is Not-Awesome coming on.)
4. Good excuses not to go. You might be good at coming up with excuses not to hit the gym, but there are way more out there as to why you can't hit the pool. I have a cut. I have a cold. The pool isn't heated and it's freezing outside and I have Reynaud's syndrome. My suit is too small. My suit is too big. My goggles broke. My cap broke. It's thundering--do you want me to get electocuted?! I can't make the lap swim hours (lap swim hours are often terrible, unless you're my mom and get to swim in that super nice pool at UVA (jerk! ;-) )
5. No shoes. I mean, what else is this whole minimalist/barefoot running thing about? They're jealous that we get to exercise barefoot.
*For those of you wishing to copy my supercool superhero style, those are Aqua Sphere goggle-masky things and you can buy something similar at Swimoutlet.com. (Am I going to get paid for this?)