How many of you used to make mix tapes by hovering over the boom box when you knew the song was going to end, ready to hit the record/play buttons in case the next song was the one you wanted? Seeing how lightning-fast you could do it to catch the very beginning of the song? Being so disappointd when what you thought was one song was really another, then carefully rewinding to re-record over it? Because, obviously, I did that. My main station back in the day was 106.5 the Buzz coming out of Richmond, Virginia, although it didn't always carry to Charlottesville that well. They disappeared after a while and the rumor was that they'd been selling smack. (What's smack?) It's really strange, but the song "Black Hole Sun" really sums up that period in my life. Or at least takes me right back to it.
Anyway. People tell me I have a gift for choosing music. Well, some people. People that share my taste. So I thought I'd share some of my compilations with you all so if you feel like it you can make yourself a CD (or even one of these "Playlist" things I keep hearing about). There are a few rules:
1. Take my suggestions with a grain of salt. (I'm not sure exactly what that means here, it's just sort of my "out".) Also, just because I put a song on here doesn't mean I get what it's about. It's more about the flavor of the song.
2. Have a sense of humor and don't take it too seriously. (i.e. don't read too much into all of these anti-war songs, but we Army wives just need to express a little angst sometimes, OK? Plus there won't be war in heaven.)
3. Lower your expectations. Despite my judgementalness, I'm not a serious music person, pursuing obscure bands and learning their every note and member. It's a miracle that I know the name Rivers Cuomo, OK? And I rarely find new music these days.
4. Don't be silly, I'm not getting paid for this!
So, here's The Angsty Household 6. iTunes away! (Or use Zune, my preferred plan of attack)
1. Muse - Knights of Cydonia
2. Goldfinger - 99 Red Balloons
3. The Clash - Guns of Brixton
4. M.I.A. - Paper Planes
5. The Decembersts - 16 Military Wives
6. 3 Doors Down - When I'm Gone (because this list needs a little cheesiness)
7. Dispatch - The General
8. Nickel Creek - The Hand Song (see #6)
9. Green Day - 21 Guns
10. Muse - Soldier's Poem
11. The Presets - My People
12. My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade
It did occur to me that it's an interesting time to bring up that Clash song.
Let me know what you think and/or leave suggestions for additions!