"I took that picture," said the PF as I lowered the camera. "I told you to take it so I get the credit!" I don't know about that. What I do know is that Sleepyhead was in danger of falling out of his Japanese Self Defense Force truck.
Happy birthday to the Pater Familias! Due to me being sick all week, it's pretty lame.* Well, technically he's getting SCUBA certified for his birthday (which involves me not getting many breaks from Eva this week, when we're sick, so that counts for a lot, right?) But I also ordered him this thing, and when I was ordering it I got myself a shirt from the same store because next to the cost of the thing, the shirt was chump change. But four days later, they emailed me to say the thing wasn't coming, just my shirt. Happy birthday, hubby, I got myself a shirt for it! (Kind of like you getting Eva a fish for my birthday, right?) (That's right, folks, we're working on a menagerie here. I really want to name the fish Awesome again because he's a betta. There's a heated debate...no, not really, we don't really talk about the fish.)
- When I found out that Evangeline was a girl, the last thing I ever imagined was that "No strangling" would be such an oft-repeated rule in out house.
- Sometimes I think that the world is divided into two kinds of cultures: those that engage in celebratory gunfire and those that do not. I think that the fact that we generally do not might be one of my top 3 favorite things about the U.S. I think I already posted the one about the man in Napoli who sneezed out a celebratory bullet, but that one's worth revisiting on this occasion.
- Typhoon Nandamol is possibly headed toward us. It looks pretty intense for now, but who knows what shape it'll be in by the time it hits the Ryukyus Tuesday-ish. We're praying for everyone in the path of Irene, and remembering that last "I" storm to hit Virginia in a big way. Oh, Isabel. We had to evacuate college and then my roommates and my future husband ditched me and went on a roadtrip to New York. But clearly I've totally forgiven you guys, seriously!
- I just Commissary-stalked this Italian family just to listen to them. I think they were visiting their daughter & son-in-law. I don't think they were from Vicenza. And, yes, I know that there is a 99.99% chance that you followed this link from Facebook and have already read this. You know how you can spot Italians from a mile away once you've lived there?
- My pinkeye or severe allergies or whatever are a lot better, but I can't seem to keep my right eye open today. Tears constantly streaming down my face. So I'm not crying, people. Or, I might be...you'll never know!**
- This woman is so awesome. For when you're tempted to lose it with your kids.
- Army had a half day today. Really.
*I wrote this before we went on a completely impromptu trip down south to Kokusai Street in Naha. It's hard for me to be impromptu, so that was not-lame.
**Ooohhhh good grief I just realized that I might have iritis again. I have a hypopyon. Sweet! Am I the only person in the world who needs to do more googling of medical symptoms?